Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fun with the Cricut Cake

I finally had a chance to play with the cricut cake mini I had to have so badly that I got up before dawn on Black Friday and stood out in the cold in front of Joanns.  While I was waiting to use it, I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos.  I think that helped a lot.  I felt like I knew what I was doing by the time I was ready to try it out.  We went the easy route this time.  I bought some sugar cookies and some icing- no baking involved.  Then I got some Wilton fondant.  I put it on my cricut mat (which I brushed with crisco) and then rolled it out.  I rolled it out thin- really thin.  You can see the lines on the mat through the fondant.  Then I put the mat with the fondant on it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  Then I put it in the cricut cake and cut my first shape.  It worked great!!!!  Since I am not an expert at rolling fondant (this was my first time), I cut the pigs one at a time so that I could be sure they would cut where there was enough fondant.  cricut cake 003 [1280x768] Ignore their faces.  I couldn’t get the gypsy to work because I hadn’t updated the cricut yet, so I had to try and make faces with black icing and the tip was too thick.  After all the shapes were cut, I put the mat back in the freezer for a little less than 10 minutes, then I carefully lifted them off the mat with the spatula that comes in the cricut cake tool kit.  Since it worked so well, I wanted to try it again with some yellow fondant.  This time I cut the peace sign from rock angel and I used the gypsy so that I could make sure they were all in the middle of the mat where the most fondant was.  cricut cake 005 [1280x768] All in all I have to say this was everything I hoped it would be.  I can’t wait to play with it again.  This is not good news for my diet, however, the fondant tastes pretty good.  cricut cake 007 [1280x768] Our finished product.  You can see how yummy there were since that poor little pig cookie is bitten in half. 

No comments: